|Dr. SITA RAM KUMHAR, Professor (Plant Breeding & Genetics)|
A remarkable change has been witnessed in the rural economy due to adoption of agricultural technology in the State. The seed quality and varietal improvement had played a very important role in better utilization of inputs in different agro-climatic conditions of the state. The direct contribution of quality seed alone to total production has been estimated at around 15-20% depending upon the crop. The role of quality seed has now become more important.
The mandate of the Directorate of Seed is to produce and supply the quality and high yielding seeds i.e. Breeder/Foundation/Certified/TL category of various Rabi and Kharif crops to the seed growers for further multiplication and farmers during the Kisan Melas organized by the University and Krishi Vigyan Kendras. To carry out processing, grading and packing of seeds in the Seed Processing Units. Sale of the quality seeds to meet the requirements of seed growers, government agencies like Rajasthan State Seeds Corporation, National Seed Corporation, private seed producing agencies and farmers of Rajasthan as well as adjoining states, thereby financial strengthens the University.
- Monitoring of Breeder seed and Truthful Labelled Seed Production programme and there must be constituted Monitoring Teams well in advance for Kharif as well as Rabi season having one senior breeder, one concerned crop breeder, one pathologist/ entomologist and one farm incharge/ Agronomist.
- Only those varieties breeder seed are to be produced, which has been notified during last 10 years, more than ten years old varieties BS production programme may be avoided.
- BSP proforma from BSP-II to BSP-V must be filled well in time and summited to the concerned for each crop separately, so that timely monitoring, allotment and lifting of seed could be ensured.
- For quality seed production, there must be at least one breeder at each station/ KVK where seed production programme of different crops are taken.
- Before lifting of every type of seed, there must be germination test including purity and other test by the seed testing laboratory.
- The packing size for Breeder seed be equal to the seed quantity required for one acre land and it must be also followed for TL seed also.
- As per the seed rule and regulations there must be one leaflet having package of practice for the variety in each seed packet.